Enjoy Hatteras Island in Every Season
The Spring, Fall and Winter offer a serene setting for peaceful solitude, reflection and time to reconnect with friends and family.
The Outer Banks and especially Hatteras Island experiences warm air and water temperatures through the fall, creating some of the best watersport and fishing conditions of the year. The beaches are secluded, the roads are quiet and there are local events to enjoy. Best of all, the vacation home rental rates are at their most affordable.
Popular Off-Season Events
- Hatteras Village Surf Fishing Tournament in September
- Annual Red Drum Surf Fishing Tournament in October
- Outer Banks Marathon in November
- Cape Hatteras Angler’s Club Annual Surf Fishing Tournament in November
- Wings over Water Wildlife Festival in November
- OBXmas Weekends [obxmasweekends.com] in December
- Kelly’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade in March
- Outer Banks Taste of the Beach in March
Things to Do in the Off-Season
Surf Fishing: Bring your rod and reel and take advantage of some of the best surf fishing on the East Coast. Off-Season is In-Season for surf fishing.
Shell Collecting: Winter storms bring to shore some of the most beautiful and more rare shells that you’ll find all year. Bring a bag because you’ll have a lot to bring back home.
Relaxing: The Off-Season is the least crowded time of year on Hatteras Island which means you have the beach nearly to yourself. It is quiet, peaceful time ideal for reflection, relaxation and rest.
Shopping: You can get some of the best deals of the year in the local shops and galleries. Find the perfect holiday gifts at discounts that suit your pocketbook.