Explore Waters on Hatteras Island by Kayak
A popular way to explore the beauty of Hatteras Island is by kayak. Make your way along the sound and canals for a water-level view of flora and fauna, waterfowl, and other inhabitants of the island’s brackish sound waters and marshland.
Bring your own kayak, or rent one from VayK Gear, delivered right to your Surf or Sound Realty vacation home for added convenience.
Other kayak rental services found throughout Hatteras Island:
- Kitty Hawk Kites located in Rodanthe, Avon, and Hatteras, offers not only kayak rentals, but also kayak tours.
- Duck Village Outfitters is located on NC Hwy 12 in Salvo. They offer both kayak rentals and Eco tours. Delivery is available to anyone staying in the Rodanthe, Waves, or Salvo villages.
- Hatteras Watersports has their own launch site in Salvo. You can test the waters with an hour long rental or come back for more with a weeklong rental. Only a 15-minute paddle from the Salvo Day Use Area, there is ample opportunity to explore the Pamlico Sound.
- Ocean Atlantic Rentals has a store in Avon right on NC Hwy 12. They have kayaks available for daily, three day, or weekly rates and deliver everywhere on Hatteras Island.
- Hatteras Island Boardsports is located across from the Avon Pier on NC Hwy 12. Free delivery is available for weekly rentals to anyone staying on Hatteras Island.
- Slash Creek Outfitters is an equipment rental company in Hatteras Village. They offer delivery to Buxton, Frisco, and Hatteras and have a launch site right at their store.
Let Experts Show You Around on Kayaking Tours
Kayaks are offered in single and tandem options. Sit-on-top kayaks, which allow you to jump on and off easily, are most common for beginner ocean kayakers. More advanced kayakers will use a neoprene skirt to enclose the kayak and keep the water out as they expertly move along the waves and roll the kayak with their paddles.
Several area recreation services provide kayak tours, with a popular one being the sunset paddle at the inlet boat ramp at Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge. Some recreation companies also offer full moon paddles for the more adventurous groups. You can also take your kayak out on the ocean to ride the waves.