Try Something New: Stand-Up Paddleboarding on the Outer Banks
There is no shortage of ways to ride the waters on an Outer Banks vacation. One of the newest and fastest-growing ways to spend time out on Hatteras Island waters is by paddleboard. Stand-up paddleboarding (SUP) is easy to learn once you get the hang of proper foot positioning, balance, and paddle techniques.
What's SUP: Stand-Up Paddleboarding on Hatteras Island
A paddleboard is a large surfboard, shaped for standing on. A paddle is used to propel the board across the water's surface.
You can take your board out into the ocean or sound. If you are renting a home close to soundside access, this can be an excellent sport to learn and enjoy during your stay. The warm, shallow waters of the sound make for ideal paddleboarding conditions. Make your outing even more rewarding by planning a sunrise or sunset paddle.
Bring your own SUP, or rent one directly from VayK Gear, where they will deliver to your Surf or Sound Realty vacation home for your convenience.
Hatteras Island SUP Rentals
Other SUP rental services found throughout Hatteras Island:
- Kitty Hawk Kites offers rental delivery services to Rodanthe, Avon, and Hatteras. They provide SUP rentals ranging from hourly to weekly rates and even offer lessons.
- Hatteras Island Surf and Sail in Salvo provides SUPs at varying time frames ranging from an hour to a week.
- Duck Village Outfitters in Salvo offers SUP boards at both daily and weekly rates with delivery available to homes in Rodanthe, Waves, and Salvo.
- Ocean Air Sports located at the north end of Avon; Ocean Air Sports offers SUP rentals ranging from two hours to a week. They also deliver to soundside rentals, and rental homes along canals in Avon.
- Ocean Atlantic Rentals offers both hard and soft SUP boards for a daily, three day, or weekly rate. Delivery is available for three days or more and they service all of Hatteras Island.
- Hatteras Island Boardsports is located in Avon across from the Avon Pier. They offer SUP rentals for varying time frames ranging from four hours to a week. Delivery is available to any vacation rental home on Hatteras Island.
- Fox Watersports in Buxton offers SUP rentals for weekly rates.
- Slash Creek Outfitters offers a range of rates from hourly to weekly. Not only do they have a launch site at their store in Hatteras Village, but they also deliver to Buxton, Frisco, and Hatteras.
When searching Surf or Sound Realty's inventory, look for a soundfront or oceanfront property for easy water access for your SUP adventure.