Look to the Sky: Birdwatching on Hatteras Island
The Outer Banks, and Hatteras Island especially, are home to stunning flora and fauna. There’s no shortage of thrilling adventures near your Hatteras Island vacation rental, including kayaking area waterways and biking a local trail. However, if you’re looking for more of a laid-back outing, grab your binoculars and set off on a birdwatching excursion.
A List of Handy Birdwatching Tips
Some of the most common birds you might see are willets, American Robins, Purple Martins, raptors, and more.
Before setting off on your nature-filled excursion, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Don’t forget to bring along insect repellent.
- Watch out for small cactus mixed in with the beautiful flowers and found amongst the dune grass.
- As the dune system is fragile, cross sand dunes on established paths.
- The soundside areas of the National Seashore accessible by vehicle require beach driving permits. Please call the park service at 252.473.2111 or go online for the most current information.
- Stay hydrated when off on an adventure, even in shaded areas.
After packing your bag with the essentials at your Surf or Sound Realty vacation rental home, set off exploring the picture-perfect North Carolina scenery that’s all around you.
Where to Go Birdwatching on Hatteras Island
As part of the Atlantic Flyway, it’s no surprise that the Outer Banks is home to hundreds of migratory birds. Perhaps one of the most popular spots to try and spot these species is Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge. Established in 1938 to provide a resting, nesting, and wintering habitat for migratory birds, this area attracts over 300 species yearly.
One of the best ways to go birding is on the Pea Island Bird Walk. This weekly event takes place on Fridays from 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., except for during the Wings Over Water Festival. Meet up at the visitor center with your field guides and binoculars before strolling beside North Pond.
Other popular locations for birding include Cape Hatteras National Seashore and even the backyard of your Hatteras Island vacation rental.
With phenomenal vacation rental homes throughout the area, including oceanfront and soundfront, your Surf or Sound Realty home is the perfect home base for any bird lover.